What is it?
The Underground is the Duluth Playhouse's newest event space. The Underground replaces the Play Ground—which until April 1, 2013 was located in the Technology Village in downtown Duluth. The Underground space/event center is located one level below the Great Hall at the Depot/Michigan Street so the name change to The Underground (from the Play Ground) felt appropriate to the Staff and Board Members who helped make this decision.
“We felt it was important to change the name because of the new location and new mission and new direction for the space,” says Producing Director, Crystal Pelkey.
The mission of The Underground is to serve as a community meeting place for culture and conversation, for arts and education, offering diverse programming to foster the artistic and intellectual life of Northern Minnesota/Wisconsin.
in fulfilling its mission, The Underground will:
- Promote the growth and development of public pride for all cultures in our region.
- Commitment to social justice and respect for humanity by fostering cultural and intellectual expression in our region
- Foster constructive and mutually respectful conversations among community members via salons and lectures that currently don’t exist in our area
- Be a community partner by offering a platform for conversations around important civic engagement, social justice, and community issues
- Support and encourage artists who work at The Underground to develop skills and talents and to negotiate all the stages of their art lives
- Provide high quality art in theater, music, and dance, and the spoken word.
- Provide a venue for regional/Twin Cities professional to bring their work Northern Minnesota
- Be a venue for the Playhouse multi-faceted education program showcases/classes/presentations
- To care for, cherish and celebrate youth accomplishments/education in the arts via music showcases, art and writing events for ages K-12
- Use our creative platform for unique education opportunities for youth and families that may not have access to art opportunities
- Be an intergenerational resource for activities for all ages—youth to senior citizens
All questions and inquiries should be directed to Crystal Pelkey, the Underground Producing Director, at 218-733-7526 or