Meet Vicki Fingalson, one corner of the dynamic trio that makes up one super trouper troupe of Dynamos.
- What brought you to Mamma Mia!?
- ABBA! I’ve been a lifelong fan. Also, the director, Michael! He is such a joy and each rehearsal provides opportunities for me to grow in new ways. It’s a thrill to push myself outside my comfort zone. A pop-rock musical with lots of dancing is definitely outside my comfort zone!
2. What’s a fun fact about your character that others may not know?
- “Tanya” is the choreographer for the world’s first Girl Power Band – Donna and the Dynamos!
3. How did you get involved in theater?
- My theatrical tendencies presented themselves at an early age – my mother has told me that I used to watch myself cry in a mirror so often, that she had to take mirrors down! Dramatic, sad, or tortured characters have always been my particular favorite which is perfect for opera – my “regular” gig. And I remember feeling the first twinge of competition in 2nd grade, as I auditioned to play the Witch in Hansel & Gretel. There were two of us who were called back – one would be the Witch (who turned into a Princess and sang a pretty song), and the other would be a singing shrub. I remember the adrenaline and the weird burst of confidence that accompanied me into the audition room. My friend made a terrific singing shrub. Then the theater bug lay dormant for a time, giving way to my focus on music and singing. But in my first year as a Master’s student in voice performance, I was cast in my first opera, and the rest is history. Music-Theater (opera, operetta, musicals, revues) has become the perfect marriage of singing and theater for me. I love it and couldn’t imagine my life without it.
4. If you could do anything, what would it be? And why?
- I would be a forensic scientist. I love solving puzzles! In my daily life, I often solve hypothetical problems as my method for making decisions. I got this from my dad. It’s a long process, for sure, but I always feel secure in my choices after I have hypothetically solved all the potential hurdles.
5. What’s the craziest thing you’ve done?
- Craziest: My husband, Jeff and I bought a duplex in really bad condition and spent two years renovating it ourselves.
- Craziest/Best: We adopted our sweet little boy – Samuel Arthur Lyle – after a long 4-year wait.
- Craziest/Most Spontaneous (I’m not usually a spontaneous person, see the answer to the previous question…): Became a redhead for Mamma Mia!