We are excited to bring a new event to The Underground from June 22-24 celebrating women, womenkind, and everything women have to say.
Our What She Said Festival features the new works of seven playwrights from around the country and shaped into a stage creation by seven local directors. These playwrights and directors? All women. The casts are small, and the stage will be pretty bare bones, letting audiences focus on the new works being brought to life on stage.
If you saw Love, Loss and What I Wore or Motherhood Out Loud in Underground Theatre season’s past, you’re going to love our What She Said Festival! Make it gals night out (dinner beforehand!), make it a date night with your honey (2-for-1 wine specials before the show, anyone?), or make it a night out with coworkers (bonding time!).
Check out the line-up below the work being highlighted at the festival, then book your tickets!
Seven Minutes in Heaven
- Written by Eugenie Carabatsos (Hanover, NH)
- Directed by KT Magnolia
- Starring: Matias Valero as Martin and Kyliah Thompson as Fredi
- Fredi and Martin have been thrown into a closet to play seven minutes in heaven, but Fredi has more important things on her mind, like science, presidential campaigns, and vegetarianism. Meanwhile, Martin’s trying his best not to picture Fredi as a skeleton. With the clock ticking, the pressure is on–will these two kiss?
- Written by Rhea MacCallum (Downy, CA)
- Directed by Mary Fox
- Starring: Ellie Martin as Alice and Lacy Habdas as Elizabeth
- When a woman goes missing from a hospital, her adult daughter tracks her down at a cherished park. Mom and daughter then share laughter and tears as they navigate the difficult road of terminal illness.
- Written by Andrea Fleck Clardy (Jamaica Plain, MA)
- Directed by Kate Horvath
- Starring: Cheryl Skafte
- Every high school teacher knows that building trust is part of the job. Once in a great while, that trust can make the difference between life and death.
Her Big Day
- Written by Heather Meyer (Minneapolis, MN)
- Directed by Crystal Pelkey
- Starring: Heather Atherton as Donna, Brooke Melek as Jane, and Liz Woodworth as Mary
- Who says weddings are all about the bride? Here, a far too hospitable bride takes selflessness to new heights on her wedding day.
Ein Kleiner Kosmik Joke
- Written by Rachel Schroeder (New York City, NY)
- Directed by Christine Winkler Johnson
- Starring: Matias Valero as Louis and Lacy Habdas as Miriam
- Moments before they walk down the aisle, a devout Jewish convert breaks the news to his desperate-to-be-married-
yesterday Jewish bride that he’s discovered a terrible secret: he’s a descendant of Adolf Hitler.
- Written by Shawna Casey (Los Angeles, CA)
- Directed by Jody Peck
- Starring: Zach Stofer as Edgar and Cat Rud as Layla
- Fourteen-year-old Layla and her father are having a catch down by Pianovil River, when she throws him a curve.
Caleb and Rita
- Written by Jessica Moss (New York City, NY)
- Directed by Cheryl Skafte
- Starring: Mary Fox as Terri and Luke Sharman as Andrew
- Terri is meeting Caleb. Andrew is meeting Rita. Or they’re supposed to.
Are you…? Oh, sorry.
On the internet, and in real life, anyone can be anyone.
What: What She Said One-Act Festival
Where: The Underground Theatre (506 W. Michigan Street, Duluth, MN 55802)
When: June 22-24, 2017
Show Times: 6:00pm – Join us pre-show starting for 2-for-1 wine specials and shopping at an exclusive Art in the Alley pop-up boutique | 7:30pm – Performances begin
Prices: Adults – $20, Students – $18 | Use code WONDERWOMEN2017 online at checkout or mention it over the phone to receive $5 off each ticket in your order!
Purchase: Online, by calling 218.733.7555, or stop by in person M-F, 9am-5pm