The celebration of original one-acts returns for its third year!
Written by women from all over the country, directed by women from across the Twin Ports, and performed by local community actors, this short play festival highlights the female voice and everything it has to say.
Below, enjoy a preview of the selected short pieces, the playwrights, the directors, and the actors bringing them to life from March 21-23 in The Underground Theatre.
1.) A Little Experimenting
- Written by Rhea MacCullum (Downey, California)
- Directed by Ashlee Hartwig
- Mary Fox as MOTHER
- Eden Nesburg* as CHASTITY
A mother/daughter chat about the birds and the bees goes horribly awry.
2.) Black Lipstick Girl
- Written by Mora Harris (Pittsburg, Pennyslvania)
- Directed by Christina Stroup
- Meghan Jarecki as KAYLA
- Shayna Schafter as EXIE
When altruistic Kayla initiates a friendly conversation with loner Exie, it becomes clear her motives may not be entirely selfless. But when true danger threatens, the two forge a connection that is bigger than high school.
3.) The Ones Who Stay
- Written by Karen Saari (Madison, Wisconsin)
- This director and cast join us from Bayfield, Wisconsin!
- Directed by Liz Woodworth
- Jan Lee as STACY
- Alan Filipczak as RICH
While their loved ones undergo major health scares, two people bond during their weekly time together in the waiting room. Their friendship takes them by surprise, becoming a bright spot for both during an otherwise painful time.
4.) Into That Good Night
- Written by Mara Dresner (Rocky Hill, Connecticut)
- Directed by Kendra Carlson
- Christine Winkler Johnson as LEANNE
- Bailey Boots as CARLY
- Seth Hannasch as JIM
A cancer patient ready to give up her battle looks for support from a minister who stops in her hospice room one evening.
5.) By The Way
- Written by Andrea Clardy (Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts)
- Directed by Cheryl Skafte*
- Ellie Martin as MARY
- Christina Trok as VALERIE
Two women who instantly mistrust each other share a table in a crowded airport food court. They seem to have nothing in common until, just for the fun of it, they decide to speak honestly about their lives.
6.) Initial Velocity
- Written by Dagney Kerr (Burbank, California)
- Directed by Kate Horvath
- Meghan Jarecki as PHOEBE
- Jake Nelson as BEN
One year, six months, and two days ago, Phoebe and Ben fell in love. But they’ve never spoken a word to each other – until today. Leaving behind the whimsical, romantic journey they’ve taken in their imaginations, they finally join each other in reality.
GET TICKETS TO THE FESTIVAL
- What: The 3rd Annual What She Said: One-Act Festival
- When: March 21-23, 2019
- Showtimes: 7:30pm
- Where: The Underground Theatre (506 W. Michigan Street, Duluth MN 55802)
- Tickets: $20
- Purchase: Online at www.duluthunderground.org, call 218.733.7555, or at the door the night of a performance
- Sara Marie Sorenson for co-producing
- Lake Superior Railroad Museum
- The Playwrights for their words
- The Directors for their visions
- The actors for bringing these new works to life
- Season Sponsor Bent Paddle Brewing
- Spotlight Sponsors Buzz Frenzy & Ignite Studio
- Season Partners Essentia Health & The Depot Foundation
- And to all of YOU who will be in the audiences to witness these new works